analytics

21 Mar 2012

HP Envy - Beat by Dre Edition

So I have been lucky enough to be sent the HP Envy Laptop, not the plain Jane HP Envy but the Beats by Dre Edition. I was honoured to be asked to try it out for two weeks and my first thought - it's cool.  I really like it.  It's much faster than my little netbook, it's loads bigger too.  It's not heavy and it doesn't make a sound, even the red back lit keys are silent touch!  I felt even more honoured as the laptop came with some Beats By Dre headphones, which I had been dying to get around my ears for a while now.



So, what did I do with it for a fortnight?  I tried to do as much as I could with it, I hooked it up to our media server and watched movies, the sound quality of both the headphones and the laptop where phenomenal.  I used the headphones and we put the decks on for the first time in a year and dusted off some vinyl and had a dance around, I played Mah Jong, my PC doesn't have it and I love that game, I used it for some epic comping, it was waaaaaaay faster than my netbook and sadly, faster than my PC too so going back to it is gonna suck.  There were certain on-line things like bingo and swagbucks that were so much easier, when I do them on my own machine it's very slow and cumbersome.  Although for the RRP of this little beauty, you would (from an IT geek not a Mummy Blogger point of view) expect it to do a hell of a lot more before you could justify the expense!  It's been really enjoyable using it too!  It's pretty red back lit keyboard was fun, apart from trying to watch a movie in bed without being able to turn it off did get slightly distracting!  I mean had it have been my own laptop, I would have installed Reason and Cubase and made some serious sounds but I didn't have enough license agreements to start copying my software all over the place.  It's a real shame that it did not come with the software I felt nessacary to showcase something that is made especially for music creation with some music creation software!



So here's the boring bit for all you techies out there this laptop has a quad-core Intel Core i7-Q720 processor running at 1.6GHz and 4Gb RAM, a DVD drive, an HDMI port, two USB 2.0 ports, a USB 2.0/eSATA port, a mini display port, headphone and microphone jacks and a SD card reader brought to you through a 14.5-inch screen that has a resolution of 1,366x768 pixels.  With hindsight, I probably should have bench marked this little black and red bad boy but, then again, am I really THAT much of a geek?  I think not! 

So, overall, it's a rather groovy machine, not too heavy, not too loud or slow.  I can't hint enough how much I would LOVE to own one of these Misteright... I would like an iPad more but an iPad is an iPad, this is the new laptop I have been needing for ages.  I'm not bigging it up massively as I know we will never be able to afford one and I have seen cheaper, better performing laptops but this one is everything I'm looking for all rolled into one, the only thing that could make it better (apart from the back lit keys turning off) is that the red was pink instead! If you'd be buying one just to use facebook, blog and send emails then you'd be wasting your money but if you are a budding musician or producer then this is the tool that your studio has been searching for.  It looked at home amongst my home equipment and if I had the software to push it to the max, then I would have done...


 Watch out for the review written by K&M coming soon, it's always good to see something from a childs eyes, especially if you're spending THAT much money!


Many Thanks to HP UK for the loan of this laptop, I have received nothing in exchange for my views (which are completely my own) apart from having a swanky laptop for a fortnight!


No comments:

copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...