analytics

15 Mar 2011

Bloggers Not Anonymous...

I frequent a few blogs on the rare occasion that I have some time, a few of them are written anonymously... you can guess that I am not one of these bloggers.  I really don't care who knows what I write and the reason(s) why I write the things that I do here.  I've never been a quiet one and don't intend to silence myself out of worry for what people might say, or think. 

Today I am past caring and so my not so anonymous blog is going to be my platform to tell the world.

As you may know, I started a new job this week.  I left the comfort of my call centre with the people I have spent the last two years working and having a laugh with and swapped it all for something I feel may be a little bit beneath me, no beneath me is the wrong word. Let's face it, I left working in a shop to work in a call centre so I did not have to deal with stupid idiot members of the "shopping public" I thought I had forgotten about them all but one by one, all day, they have frequented the shop with their calls of "Where's the spuds, Love?" and "Do you sell drinks?" Err, it's a fruit shop, and surely if we sold something to drink it would be SOMEWHERE YOU CAN SEE IT... moron!  I have unpacked boxes and made things look pretty on a shelf. Let's face it, no one cares if it looks pretty or if all the labels face the front.  Some nosey bod will only come and turn them all round anyway when they are doing that annoying being nosey and prodding and poking without buying anything thing!

I'm not a mathematician, far from it. I even failed my GCSE Maths, miserably.  Today I have been converting things from pounds into kilos and vice-versa, trying to explain to a foreigner with less than basic English that a Scottish £5 note is still legal tender in England, counting money out of purses and sweaty hands and deciding what order items should be placed into a carrier bag.  I even had to be shown how to use a fruit and veg scale style till and know about "X" and "Z" reports. I don't even know what they are, let alone care what they do and why I need to do them.

My head is blagged, my body is aching and I am more tired than I have ever been. I may have a job with guaranteed hours each week, but it is less money per hour and I have gone from working 4 hours a day to working 10 hours a day.  Is it really worth it?  I think I am just one of those people who was not designed to be a shop assistant.  I actually don't have it in me to be false and smiley happy to randoms who want to talk about the weather and the price of carrots.  I actually don't want to be false and smiley happy to randoms who talk nonsense. I just don't want to see them.  I concluded that I worked in a call centre for many different reasons...

People at the other end of the telephone can't see you, they don't feel obliged to make small talk with you.

If you don't like the way someone speaks to you, the option of disconnection is always a possibility.

More often than not, the people you're calling aren't there or don't want to speak to you.

People on the other end of the telephone don't care if they have bad personal hygiene as you can't smell them!

If you don't want to put on a happy face, you don't have to



So now, I'm stuck between a rather large rock and a hard place.  I took the job so I could have a set amount of money in my pocket every week, but is the money in my pocket more important than ME? I don't mean that in an up-my-own-backside kind of way.  I mean is it worth the extra money to feel like this after 2 days?  I know 2 days is not really long enough to make a decision, but working in a shop for those 2 days has made me realise why I left working in a retail environment to work in a closed office all day.  I would even do triple shifts again.  I miss speaking to random people over the phone and asking them if they are satisfied or dissatisfied.  I miss the general chit chat at the tea machine, I would even go as far as to say that I even miss the walk to work (because I know it was followed by 4 hours of sitting down!)   

It all comes down to the fact that I don't know if I can actually make this work and for someone like me, that sucks.  I don't like not having the answer.  I might get back to you if I ever find it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry you feel like this hun, hope you can get past it and start enjoying it. I look forward to seeing you even if it is only for a few mins at switch over. Chin up, you can do this...i know you can!
S & E Quality Fruit and Veg RULES :D x

copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...