analytics

12 Jan 2011

Eat Goodness Ready to Eat Figs : A Goodness Direct Product Review

The lovely people at Goodness Direct recently sent me some products from their range to review on my blog. I was only expecting one thing to try but a jiffy bag came with a few different bits for me to try. The first out of the bag was the ready to eat figs, so I ate them! and here is the review!
 
The bag looks pretty dull, somewhat how society has portrayed health foods over the last few years. It has a beige label with a green stripe. The information label on the back tells me that this product may contain milk, protein, sesame and nut which does not alarm me as I can eat all of those things! It also says that the figs are produce of Turkey.  The ingredients are obviously figs but water and preserve (potassium sorbate) is also listed, I think that's why dried fruit is tacky when you take it out of the packaging but as always, feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong.  The price for this item from the Goodness Direct  is £4.19 which is relatively cheap for this sort of product in the same size package. The nutritional information contains all the usual blurb that you find on a packet. I know it's good for me because it's fruit but let's just confirm that with what the label says!

The bag contains 500g
Per 100g:
Energy 1015kJ/239kcal, Protein, 3.1g, Carbohydrate 53g, Fat 1.2g
As you all suspected, that really means nothing to me but it looks like they have a shed load of carbs so I recommend not to eat carb heavy things after 7pm, it's meant to be better to stay in shape, according to some article I read in some glossy magazine anyway!

Let's see how they taste. I am a lover of fresh figs, especially with a toffee sauce and ice cream! I've not really bothered with dried ones before so here goes...
They feel a bit sticky on my fingers, and I'm on Misteright's PC, ooh sticky prints, he'll have my guts for garters! The dried fig tastes much like a fresh one but it's far stickier and they look a bit like dog turds but they taste good so I don't really give a shit!  If you have never had a fig before I am not really sure how to describe it to you, it's like a date at Christmas in your mouth but tastes, well nothing like it to be frank! It's a good taste, not a manky one and they are a bit sweet and easy to eat. They are quite chewy and a slightly gritty in texture. It reminds me a bit of popping candy, maybe that's why I like them so much.  They are quite moreish, but remember that dried figs may be tasty but they can have a laxative effect if you eat too many, so don't gorge on the bag or you'll not be able to stray far from the toilet.

Instead of just eating them as a snack like I have done, I suppose you could always use them in homemade muesli and to jazz up your flapjacks, even to give a bit of podge to your porridge.  Why not take a peek at the BBC Food FIG page and get some inspiration!  To find out some more information about figs in general, why not check out the wikipedia fig page

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/  Only if you want to!

1 comment:

bloomers said...

I have never tried figs and I really don't think I want to, I just think they look so unappealing!

copyright

myfreecopyright.com registered & protected

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...